close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Level 2 Dropdown Not Appearing

Thread begun 4/20/2010 10:31 am by dev396590 | Last modified 4/21/2010 2:41 pm by dev396590 | 2894 views | 9 replies |

dev396590

Level 2 Dropdown Not Appearing

Dear Friends,

In a jam, facing a crazy deadline, and need a hand with source code. I've used MenuWriter successfully before, but for some reason the gremlins are out in force on this project — getting strange javascript errors, level-2 tabs not appearing in generated menus, etc.

That said, I need to add a sub-menu tab to a level-1 tab. Here's the basic code I'm working with:

<ul class="level-0" id="cssmw">
<li><a href="#">HOME</a></li>
<li class="parent"><a href="#">NAV TAB A</a>
<ul class="level-1">
<li><a href="#">NavTab-A1</a></li>
<li><a href="#">NavTab-A2</a></li>
<li><a href="#">NavTab-A3</a></li>
</ul>
</li>
<li><a href="#">NAV TAB B</a>
<ul class="level-1">
<ul class="level-1">
<li><a href="#">NavTab-B1</a></li>
<li><a href="#">NavTab-B2</a></li>
<li><a href="#">NavTab-B3</a></li>
</ul>
</li>
<li><a href="#">NAV TAB C</a>
<ul class="level-1">
<li><a href="#">NavTab-C1</a></li>
<li><a href="#">NavTab-C2</a></li>
</ul>
</li>

I need to add an additional flyout tab to "NavTab-B1" and NavTab-C1" in their respective submenus, but am drawing a blank for the proper code. If anyone can show me the correct HTML for this, I would greatly appreciate it! Just no time to work through the MenuWriter glitches for this one. Thanks so much in advance for your time!

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

For the javascript errors, try deleting the Dreamweaver cache file from the user configuration folder:
common_installation_issues.pdf

You should not be editing the menu structure in the source code, you should be editing the menu structure using the CSS Menu Writer wizard so that the correct CSS will be generated to handle the extra levels of menu that you add. Editing the structure by hand will not allow the css for the level 2 and level 3 menus to be generated.

dev396590

Same same...

Thanks for your response, Jason. Deleted file as per instructions, but still not getting level-2 tabs.

It renders perfectly in the 'browser preview' mode — shows top level, first drop down, and fly-out tabs from that. But when I 'finish' and the code is placed in the HTML doc, only the top level and first drop down tabs appear.

Any other thoughts would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

please post a link where i could see the problem to investigate.

dev396590

.zip attached

Working from 'localhost' for now, but attached please find zipped file w/everything included. Thank you again for your prompt response!

Attached Files
MenuWriterGlitch.zip

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

your page is working for me when I test it on my server. I am including a screen shot.

dev396590

Thanks, Jason, but sorry, maybe I wasn't completely clear. The trouble is I'm getting no 'sub-menu' tabs from the 'sub-menu' tab. (Is that 'level-3'?)

I've attached a screen cap of what the preview window shows. This is what I'm expecting — flyouts tabs on the primary dropdown. But all I'm getting in the output is the same as your test: just one primary dropdown, and no tabs shooting out from them.

FWIW, this seems to work OK on other menu themes, just not the one I'm trying to create.

Thanks again for your help!

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

the files you sent only have a top level and level 1 menu.

you should edit the menu to add the other levels.

to edit the menu, select it design view, then click the edit contents button in the property inspector.

make sure the menu.php file is not open in Dreamweaver when you edit the menu.

dev396590

Thanks so much for your time and patience, Jason. Greatly appreciated! I'll give that a shot now!

dev396590

Works like a charm! Thanks again, Jason!

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...