close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Horizontal navigation displays as vertical in ie6

Thread began 3/12/2009 9:51 pm by jules.webb286095 | Last modified 7/17/2009 7:06 am by Ray Borduin | 6955 views | 12 replies |

jules.webb286095

Horizontal navigation displays as vertical in ie6

Hello

I am using the CSS Menu Writer to create a horizontal menu. It displays correctly in everything but ie6. In ie6 it displays as a block item, not inline.

I'm using the following doctype:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" lang="en">

I have confirmed that the mapping to the conditional menu_ie.css file is correct.

If you wish to view it online go to: akacupuncture.webbdemo.com/
un: webassit
pw: guest

To see a page stripped of everything but the basic header info go to: test.php

I appreciate any new leads someone has to offer.

Cheers!

Jules

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

The path seems incorrect. I view source and see:

<!--[if lte IE 6]>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="all" href="../aa_css/global_ie6.css">
<![endif]-->

when it should be:
<!--[if lte IE 6]>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="all" href="aa_css/global_ie6.css">
<![endif]-->

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

jules.webb286095

Hi Ray

I know the direct path from the root level shouldn't contain the ../ ---but since the page is a template I created in Dreamwearver CS3 it adds that to the path, appropriately so from the template folder, but it remains on the files created from the template. The path does work, I just double checked it again by adding a dispaly inline to ul#cssmw ul which makes the child links show inline instead of block.

If you want to see a page without the ../ go to: test.php
It isn't connected to any template and the link used is href="aa_css/global_ie6.css" ----the results are the same.

Do you have any other ideas?

Thanks for your time!

Jules

Ray BorduinWebAssist

The problem is that DW won't update the path on the individual pages properly since the link is technically inside of a comment.

You will have to move this into an editable region and update the path on the child pages... the path may be right on the template, but not on the resulting page DW creates from that template.

jules.webb286095

Hey Ray, I updated the paths, but it doesn't seem to make any difference. Where to now?

Jules

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Looks like one more bad path... i believe:

<script type="text/javascript" src="../CSSMenuWriter/cssmw/menu.js"></script>

should be:

<script type="text/javascript" src="CSSMenuWriter/cssmw/menu.js"></script>

carl_2005_65183847

Hi Jules

I cannot see your site as it says i need a login, but i just thought it might be of help that if your horizontal navigation is showing vertical in ie6 it might happen if you have a auto width property.

I had this problem a while ago and it is ie6 that does not process the ie6 property correctly.

Hope this helps

Carl

jules.webb286095

Hello Carl

The login info was included in my first post if you would still like to take a look. The only auto width I found in the menu.css file was: ul#cssmw > li > span > a

I did try commenting it out, and using a pixel width in the menu.css file and the ie conditional file, but no luck so far. Thanks for taking the time:-)

Jules

jules.webb286095

Well, I've made some progress. Carl you were right, in the end the elusive width property was to blame after all. I found the specific culprit in the menu_ie.css file. There were seven possibilities and I narrowed it down to: ul#cssmw li span a

Ray; I went ahead and used an absolute link for the conditional ie6 global style sheet, so no matter where you are in the site the link is correct.

So my menu is now displaying horizontal, but I am still having 2 issues.

1. The text "For appointments call..." is not a link; I have separate css rules that control it's appearance and it looks fine in all browsers I've checked except IE6--- which will display it fine at first, but then reverts to an un-styled state. I have completely stripped test.php down if you want to see a version without all the other code. I believe it is the javascript file menu.js that is somehow interfering, but I don't know enough about javascript to be sure or trouble shoot it.

2. If I am on any of the pages listed under "About ACA" I am unable to mouse over either of the two drop down menus. If I am currently on one of the pages listed under "Online Store" I don't have any problems. This problem is only in IE6.

Thanks for the help guys, and if you can think of any other suggestions I'd be grateful:-)

Cheers!
Jules

jules.webb286095

I just thought I would add a quick update to the above post.

I resolved issue #1 by making my "For appointments call..." a dead link using javascript:void(0); and then using id selectors instead of classes for my css rules. For some reason the javascript at the end of the menu.php page (see below) was interfering with the rendering in ie6. It would render fine at first and then it was like the added custom css rules were erased and the text resolved with no styling.

My second issue still remains and I plan on creating a new post to see if I can't get some help resolving it.

Cheers
Jules

<script type="text/javascript">if(window.attachEvent) { window.attachEvent("onload", function() { cssmw.intializeMenu('cssmw'); }); } else if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener("load", function() { cssmw.intializeMenu('cssmw'); }, true); }</script>

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...