close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Stock control

Thread began 3/13/2009 8:07 am by warrenphillips25336771 | Last modified 9/24/2009 1:04 pm by Ray Borduin | 12653 views | 32 replies |

warrenphillips25336771Beta Tester

Stock control

Can someonel please give an easy explanation on how to do a very simple stock control using ecart, can it be hand coded or not? just a simple on is needed.

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

There are a couple of possible techniques. My favorite is to add an inventory field to your products database and store the insert date or update date when the inventory number was set.

Then make sure on your checkout that you are properly inserting an order date in the orders table and inserting the product details in the order details table.

With that done, you have enough information to do inventory control on your results and details pages.

With a little SQL you can subtract the number sold after the date the inventory was last updated and retrieve the new available quantity.

The only hand-coding necessary is to handle making sure people don't update the cart to a higher quantity if you allow quantity update, or to allow purchases up to that quantity and not more for items available in limited quantities. The same code can also be used to make sure the quantities are still available at checkout and that someone else didn't beat the user to the sale of a limited quantity item.

We will be releasing a store solution dealing with this concept built with eCart to help serve as a functional example.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

Originally Said By: Ray Borduin
  There are a couple of possible techniques. My favorite is to add an inventory field to your products database and store the insert date or update date when the inventory number was set.

Then make sure on your checkout that you are properly inserting an order date in the orders table and inserting the product details in the order details table.

With that done, you have enough information to do inventory control on your results and details pages.

With a little SQL you can subtract the number sold after the date the inventory was last updated and retrieve the new available quantity.

The only hand-coding necessary is to handle making sure people don't update the cart to a higher quantity if you allow quantity update, or to allow purchases up to that quantity and not more for items available in limited quantities. The same code can also be used to make sure the quantities are still available at checkout and that someone else didn't beat the user to the sale of a limited quantity item.

We will be releasing a store solution dealing with this concept built with eCart to help serve as a functional example.  

Thanks ray

The problem is I spent alot of money on the web assist super suite, now your bringing something out which in my view ecart should have included, so you now want more money off me just for this, come on be fair and release it with an updated working version of ecart and give us our moneys worth,

Ray BorduinWebAssist

The distinction is between the tools and the solution... You argue that since you built the tools, you should get the solution. That is like an architect arguing that when he bought the wood and nails and hammers he should get a completed house.

With the super suilte you got the equivalent of unlimited building materials and heavy equipment.... you still need to build the house.

The store solution will be our application of all of the tools in the suite to build our own version of a store. We will be the architect. It will not be THE solution, but A solution.

Some people may want to buy the site without needing to learn how to use the tools... they might not even own the tools or DW. Some might want the site and the tools so they can make additions. Some might just want the tools.

People buy the super suite for many applications, not just physical goods stores with inventory control. Perhaps we should include all solutions in the super suite? We could do that, but we would have to charge more for it.

Maybe we should have an Ultra-Suite that includes a copy of all solutions, but I think some people would still only want to pay for the suite since they don't need that solution.

One way or the other, if we put a lot of work into new functionality, we will need to charge for it, otherwise we wouldn't be able to do the work in the first place.

but

Ray

I understand what your saying, and I agree totally with what your trying to get at, but ecart is that, it is a shopping cart that allows us to put products on to sell, whether it be one item or 50, all i was trying to say is, can it not be included? I am still new to php mysql and things like that, but i am learning, I was only asking can it not be included. I would most probably still buy the darn thing as it would make my life easier,

Ray BorduinWebAssist

I don't necessariliy disagree with you either. The store will not just be a great example of eCart. It will be a great example of Validation Toolkit, Security Assist, Dynamic Web Charts, Universal Email, Google Maps, and Data Assist all working together.

Because it is a whole new paradigm for us to start integrating our products into solutions, it really didn't fit into the existing suites, and we plan on doing quite a few different solutions and didn't want to have to raise the tools cost by including pre-packaged solutions people might not need.

We are listening, so we appreciate the feedback, and we will continue to work to make your life easier.

another thing

I am just running through ecart and on the pdf it shows sending an email receipt, but i am not getting this option, (before you ask yes i have the full suite installed). any ideas why?

Ray BorduinWebAssist

It should be based on WA Universal Email... what version of Universal Email do you have installed?

I have the latest version ray, as my pc crashed and i had to re-install all the extensions, I have done the cart now, would it be possible to add this feature?

my mistake, not been activated yet, still can i add this feature after doing the cart?/#

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...