close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Menu shows as text in Design view

Thread began 3/17/2009 8:58 pm by rschultz370327 | Last modified 3/18/2009 12:25 pm by rschultz370327 | 3202 views | 6 replies |

rschultz370327

Menu shows as text in Design view

Is there any way to get the menu to show normally (not as a list of text) in Design view? Without a true WYSIWYG experience, I'm getting pretty lost trying to line everything up (yes, I'm not an XML guru - otherwise, it probably wouldn't be an issue! :))

Thanks much for any suggestions.

Update - turns out I'm getting text-only in all my pages. I think someone mentioned needing to update the code for the pages manually. Are there any details on how/where to do this? What code do I need to move from the template, and where should I add that on the other pages?

Thanks again!

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

It should show up properly in DW for the most part, and you shouldn't have to make manual updates in most cases... unless you are using a template and some paths aren't updated properly because they are in an editable region.

If you give a url we can look at the page to see the problem.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

rschultz370327

Please check out pickax.html.

Note that, after I rebooted this morning, I'm now getting the "correct" view in "Live view" mode, but still just seeing text in Design mode. As you can see, there are 2 excess white boxes at the the top of the web page, and I can't quite figure out how to get rid of them.

Oddly, I'm also finding that the menu navigates well, but doesn't exist on some pages (and does exist on others). I think I'll have to do some manual updating anyway.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

One thing I can see is that this code is in the middle of the page:
<script type="text/javascript" src="CSSMenuWriter/cssmw0/menu.js"></script>

<style type="text/css" media="all">
<!--
@import url("CSSMenuWriter/cssmw0/menu.css");
-->
</style>
<!--[if lte IE 6]>
<style type="text/css" media="all">
@import url("../CSSMenuWriter/cssmw0/menu_ie.css");
</style>
<![endif]-->

when it should be in the header and probably the path: ../CSSMenuWriter/cssmw0/menu_ie.css should be: CSSMenuWriter/cssmw0/menu_ie.css

rschultz370327

I guess it just shows how little I know about this. I just thought I needed to put the nav bar into a table element.

When I start making a menu, I start with the "Insert" menu in Dreamweaver. Where should I be "inserting" the menu to? I think that's my root misunderstanding.

Thanks for your help & patience on this.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

This is because you placed the menu on a template-generated page with no editable region for the header, it didn't have any place it could put it.

If you create a template in DW it will automatically create an editable region in the header so that this problem won't occur when adding code that requires header updates. Somehow it was removed for your page either on purpose or by accident or this was a template created in a much older version of DW.

If the editable region was there it would have added the code in the correct place. So it isn't that you did something wrong when you applied as much as it is that the template you are using won't lend itself well to anything that uses external .js and/or .css like menu writer requires.

rschultz370327

Thanks, Ray. The template was built for me by a friend who did the initial website development. I think I'll be making a new template.

I appreciate your help on this.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...