close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Very very basic question

Thread began 3/19/2009 9:15 pm by mcdonald310584 | Last modified 6/02/2009 10:43 am by Ray Borduin | 9448 views | 17 replies |

Peter

Very very basic question

How do I integrate the contact form solution pack into an existing site design? I don't have enough experience with forms and the support files haven't been terribly helpful to someone who needs step by step directions that a 6 year old could understand (to quote Denzel Washington from the movie Philadelphia). Please help.
Peter

Sign in to reply to this post

Peter

Still need help...

I'm really hoping for some help today if possible. I have an existing site design and page that I was hoping to just insert a contact form using the solution pack. But my ignorance is delaying any successful use of the solution pack. I just don't know the fundamentals and the user guide is not helpful at all to me at my level of un-sophistication here. I have a basic site I'm building with xhtml and css, not pure PhP. But I was hoping to use this php solution pack to insert a contact form in one of the pages. I'm assuming I can do that but don't know for sure. Just need help how to get started. Thanks to anyone from WA or others out there who might be able to assist.
Peter

Ray BorduinWebAssist

You can copy and paste the forms and data above and below the html into one of your pages. If you have dreamweaver you could just apply your existing design template.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

Peter

Thanks for your reply Ray. Sorry I'm really dense on this and the getting started guide is not helping me do that at all. Can you be a bit more specific about the starting point and subsequent steps? How do I create the form, then what pieces (folders/files) do I put into my website directory, and what do I copy and paste into my html file? I am using DW but not DW template.
Peter

Ray BorduinWebAssist

You need all of the files.. so copy them all to your site.

Then open the contact form page and in code view, cut out the body of the page and paste and save it into a .txt file.

Then copy and paste the body of the page you already have the look and feel you want. Then go back to your .txt file and paste in the form contents.

Peter

I'm getting closer

Ray I'm much closer than I was. Still got some work to do. Please hang in there with me. I've attached a screen shot of what the page now looks like. Does this look right in terms of the formatting of the boxes. Also note the script inside the boxes. Thoughts?

Peter

Even closer...

I uploaded the files to my web server and it appears to look just fine. The only couple glitches remaining are these. First, the boxes on the page are quite small and text entered does not wrap. Is there some way to make at least the comment box bigger (it is very small right now) and turn on line wrapping?

Secondly, in testing the form and submitting, I received no validation of the submittal either in the form of a thank you screen or receiving the email with the message. Can you give me some ideas how to solve?

Thanks for your patience!
Peter

Peter

I gotta say this...

I'm really kind of frustrated with the support coming in spurts here. Has WA taken the weekend off?? The poor response here wouldn't bother me quite as much if the product documentation were as helpful as it should be. It's not, at least not for my level of expertise which is admittedly on the low end of experience. That's why I had hoped a so-called "solution" pack like this would in fact provide a solution for me without much hassle. That's not the case, either. Sorry for the slam, but I wouldn't do it if I weren't really quite upset here. I'm still lingering out here if anyone has a mind to help in the near future.

Peter

Got it...

After considerable effort, I have worked my way through the problems I had so please don't spend time on this. Except I do still wonder if there is any way to change the size of the form field boxes. I also believe for a solution pack, the documentation is wholly inadequate and I'm not pleased that WA continues to put out good products whose user guides leave much to be desired in quality of instruction. Just my 2 cents.
Peter

Ray BorduinWebAssist

You can change the size of the form field boxes directly in CSS or in the form fields themselves with standard html.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...