close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Licensing - Patches - eCart

Thread began 3/23/2009 10:43 am by rhellewell288999 | Last modified 5/11/2009 1:00 pm by muddysmurf | 12728 views | 26 replies |

rhellewell288999

Licensing - Patches - eCart

Questions as I evaluate this solution

1) How is Powerstore licensed? Buy one copy, make multiple 'stores' on multiple web sites?

2) Update/patch policy?

3) The admin screens in the test site don't show the setup parameters for payment processors, etc. No info (that I found yet) on PCI compliance (are credit card numbers stored locally, fer instance). Installation docs might be helpful as I evaluate this solution.

Thanks..Rick...

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

The Powerstore is licenced per store. You cannot make multiple stores on multiple web sites. If you want to do that you can design a store using our extensions.

The store is sold as-is. Updates and patches may or may not be made available at any time. We intend to fix any obvious bugs and errors free of charge and they should be timely since it is all php and html.

Credit cards are not stored locally in this example.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

tomm

This policy is at odds with your other solution packs

If this is indeed the policy, then it needs to be explicitly noted in the product description, because it runs completely and directly counter to your other solution packs which state that they include:

Developers License

* WebAssist solutions include a developer’s license so you can use our products to develop as many websites as you desire; all for one low cost.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Because these are pre-built solutions, we of course can't allow someone to simply buy it once and start selling and distributing it as their own immediately after.

You can create add ons and derivitive works, but since it is essentially different in that it requires no work or added intellectual input by the end user, it must have different license terms.

The solutions are designed for people to use on their web sites, they are not intended for web shops to use and resell at their convenience. That would undercut our ability to make them in the first place since we would have to compete with anyone who purchased it who could sell it for any price without a license preventing that. If you want to resell them, you would have to buy a copy per domain you end up pushing live.

tomm

Originally Said By: Ray Borduin
The solutions are designed for people to use on their web sites, they are not intended for web shops to use and resell at their convenience. That would undercut our ability to make them in the first place since we would have to compete with anyone who purchased it who could sell it for any price without a license preventing that. If you want to resell them, you would have to buy a copy per domain you end up pushing live.  

If that is your new policy, then it is your business to run as you see fit. However, it is completely and totally at odds with what is stated in the description of your other solutions - that in the words on your site, "WebAssist solutions include include a developer’s license so you can use our products to develop as many websites as you desire; all for one low cost."

Here are the URLs:
user-registration/
contact-form/

In both cases look at the "Features" Tab under "Why Webassist Solutions?"

If this Powerstore solution is different, then you need to say so up front.

mick106153

I Agree!

I am not usually an early adopter, but I jumped on this the moment you announced. Why?
I already own most everything you sell.
I've been struggling, because the learning curve is pretty steep, to build an ecommerce site for a few parties that are getting desperate.
This product sounded like a good "template" off of which i could expand as my skill level increased and i could have it up in no time.
I am a careful and thorough reader and nowhere in any of the documentation surrounding this product was there even an inference that it was one-time-use - until I read it here.
It is obviously not a "complete" solution in that it needs to be tweaked and modified and expanded upon to achieve the desired result.
Don't get me wrong. It is a fine product and well thought out but for me it is a template and not a "solution".
I don't know if there can be a resolution that will make everyone happy but I imagine that some sort of sliding scale based on units placed might do the trick, or unlimited use for those not so advised otherwise.
Please assure me that I can, in fact, use all the other tools you provide to expand this product to my liking, That there isn't some sort of inner nanny preventing me from going too far.

Mick

Ray BorduinWebAssist

It is completely customizable in our tools. We did recently discover a problem when editing the menus, but we are working on resolving that issue and providing an update shortly.

tomm

Licensing Policy on all Solution Packs has Changed

Holy cow, I just checked and the licensing policy on all solution packs has changed overnight.

They no longer include the "Developer's License" statement under "Features->Why WebAssist Solutions", instead, the FAQ's for the Contact Form and User Registration solutions packs indicates the following:

How is this solution licensed (i.e. how many [forms,registration systems] can I set up)?

When you purchase the Contact Form Solution Pack, you receive a license to use this solution to develop and deploy one website for one client. You must purchase an additional license for each website you want to create with the Contact Form Solution Pack.

muddysmurf

This REALLY makes me angry! I'm contemplating on not ordering EVER again. How can you all of the sudden change the licensing overnight, but before not even make a mention of how many times you can use it. This is VERY dirty of WebAssist, and deserves an answer, ASAP!

There are plenty more places out there to get extensions. I thought everything you guys made was alright. Decided to spread the word around to my other web designer friends. But seriously, you guys have done MANY customers wrong and now I get to retract my statements to my friends. Ugh I cannot believe this.

mick106153

Color me Angry too!

This is very bad news.
Since I have already placed several contact forms using "ContactFormSolutionPack" and have pre-sold several "UserRegistrationSolutionPacks" I guess I must be an outlaw.

Really, in all seriousness. Where do you get off changing policy like this After The Fact!
I thought only Dick Cheney and Karl Rove were that entitled.
It's your business, dig a deeper hole if you wish. If you want to change policy to something you feel is more equitable to you, go right ahead. But you must let us – you remember us, the ones who pay your bills? – you must let us know Before you make the change. Making this change in policy apply to existing product is at the very least unethical. The more faithful might call it immoral. I think it approaches illegal.

Your scofflaw in the making
Mick

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...