close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Persist Form Problem

Thread began 3/30/2022 6:16 am by s.joiner74419001 | Last modified 4/01/2022 8:59 am by Ray Borduin | 674 views | 14 replies |

s.joiner74419001

Persist Form Problem

I have a multi-page form where the form is split into 4 pages. I thought I could use 'Form persist' to pass the form data from one page to the next.
Unfortunately I can't get this to work.
So I'm testing on the first two pages. I have the persist form behaviour on page 1 ( application-form-pcd.php ) and then i'm trying to use bindings on the next page But it is not working.
Attached is the two pages.
Not sure where i'm gong wrong here!
Thanks in advance!

Attached Files
application-form-pcd.php
application-form-qc.php
Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Since your form action points to: application-form-qc.php, that would have to be the page that the persist form server behavior is applied to.

Instead maybe remove the form action so the page submits to itself. Then use the Server Behavior: Webassist->Utilities->Server Redirect to go to the next page after the persist form code has executed.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

s.joiner74419001

Thanks Ray.. I'm a bit confused to be honest. Is my setup not a normal situation where you would use form persist? I guess its because of the multi-page setup is it?

Ray BorduinWebAssist

It is a perfectly good use of form persist. But the form persist has to be on the action page of the form since that is the page that the form actually submits to. You could also move the form persist server behavior to the next page.

s.joiner74419001

OK so basically create the form persist behaviour on the first page then cut and paste it onto the second page?

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Or just apply it on the second page and add the form bindings from the first page to the second page as well.

s.joiner74419001

Ah OK.. I was thinking I needed to use the form submit on the first page to trigger it. But I guess It doesn't matter and I can just use 'before page load' for example!

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Once you add the form from the first page to the bindings on the second, you can still use the button from the first page as the trigger by clicking the lightning bolt and selecting the button name from the form.

s.joiner74419001

Got ya!! Thanks Ray!!

s.joiner74419001

Still having issues with this Ray.

So my primary objective is for each page of the form to be saved so if for any reason the user backs out, loses network, or presses the 'previous button' which is on each page of the form, then the data is still there. I have created a form persist on each page after the first page using the previous pages form submit and data.

It partly works but there seems to be certain actions that break the function. Subsequently none of the radio inputs work properly. What I mean by this is when a page is submitted that has a radio input, the value is saved because i've tested binding it to the next page and it works. But if I then press the previous button to go back to the previous page all Data is still there except the radio inputs are now all unchecked. Another scenario is if I complete the form up to page three. then press the previous button back to page one.. NONE of the data is displayed.

I've attached a screen recording to try and demonstrate this as well as all 4 pages of the form.
page order is: pcd - qc - bi - dir

It's worth noting that the function of storing the data through to the last page seems to work as i have used the persist bindings from the first three pages in the insert record behaviours on page 4 ( -dir ) and these all send correctly to database.

Attached Files
Screen Recording 2022-03-31 at 15.12.41.mov
application-form-bi.php
application-form-dir.php
application-form-pcd.php
application-form-qc.php

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...