close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Replacement for ADDT Includes

Thread began 10/19/2009 6:29 pm by codamedia | Last modified 10/30/2009 10:14 am by codamedia | 6994 views | 19 replies |

codamedia

Replacement for ADDT Includes

This is my main tool for development.

I want to drift away from using ADDT but need a good replacement for this killer app from Interakt!

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

What exactly does ADDT Includes do? I'm not familiar with that tool and Includes are handled relatively well by DW. What do you use it for? What does the interface look like?

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

Willi Schneider

Hallo Ray

Interakt, who developed the product initially, have a very good documentation about all the features of "ADDT includes" (formerly Interakt MX Includes):

mx_kollection.htm

Interakt (ADDT) had three different server behaviors for Server-Side Includes:

1. Regular "Server-Side Include", defines one file to be included. I usually use this for headers or footers: 049a10_serversideinclude.htm

2. "Server-Side Include from List", the most important feature (for me):
049a30_ssifromlist.htm

3. "Server-Side Include from table":

049a20_ssifromtable.htm

Please check the "New Features" area --> "MX Includes features". There you can also check the features of "NeXTensio", which was mentioned recently in other threads, asking for reorderable lists:

045320_nxtlistbrowserbehavior.htm
045310_nextensio_list_wz.htm#step4

fernando.delgado261578

I agree with this request. The original product name was "MX Includes". I hope to see it soon here it WA.

Im loving WebAssist Products and this forum rocks !

Ray BorduinWebAssist

1) This is very simple... basically it gives you an interface to write:
<?php
require_once([filename]);
?>

so that you can browse to the filename and don't have to type in the file name manually, and don't need to write the one line of code. You could build this one yourself with the server behavior builder in about a minute.

2 and 3 are basically using the concept of designing a page as a template and alternating content through an include file that is controlled by url parameters passed to the page.

This too almost seems to simple to be considered a killer app. We could definitely recreate this functionality very quickly... The problem with 2 and 3 is that server side functionality often has to be included above the page to be effective. Anything that includes session_start() or header() manipulation including redirects would error if included in the middle of the page in the form of an include.

It seems like a structurally and functionality limiting approach to creating a site in general... and then you need to contend with the search engine friendly url issue, which I guess is easy enough with a mod-rewrite, but almost seems like an over-complication.

Wouldn't it make more sense to use a DW template, assign all of the content in the template to individual include files and then base individual pages off that template? It is basically the reverse of the above technique, where the MX includes concept has a static page and the content is controlled by includes, it would use includes for the page structure and control content on the individual pages.

This seems to me to be the more functionally and architecturally sound technique that shares the advantages and eliminates the disadvantages... anyone want to correct me here? I might be missing something.

The bottom line is that recreating this extension would be relatively easy. My problem with it is that I don't think it encourages a fundamentally sound site and page structure, and I don't like leading people down the wrong path... either way you are creating a new page for each content set. Either way you can change your entire design by editing a single page.

Nextensio is a data grid. We are investigating this as a potential addition to our toolset, and it is very likely to be produced sometime next year.

Willi Schneider

Quick includes demo

Hi Ray

I've set up a quick demo to show how the includes work:

ray/

I don't think, that this could be compared to Dreamweaver templates. Believe me, this is so much more flexible, once you get used to working with ADDT-includes.

The complete site svtaufkirchen.de is based on this technique. I'm just creating the pure nuggets and include them.

Hope, this gets somehow clearer ;-)

Greetings

Willi

Ray BorduinWebAssist

I see how it would work with simple content, such as your example.

My problem is with the flexability when using forms, file downloads, shopping carts, email, or other complex functionality, which this structure won't support.

I'll do some thinking on this one and see if it makes sense for us to create the includes functionality for users such as yourself.

I wouldn't mind setting up a phone call with you to show you how you could organize your site the way I suggest and demonstrate the advantages if you are up for it. If you are still sold on this technique while fully understanding the option I propose it would better convince me of the viability of the extension.

Send me an email to ray@webassist.com with your phone number and I'll give you a call and discuss this further with you.

Willi Schneider

Hi Ray

Thanks for your reply.
"Server-side-includes" definitly works with forms, file downloads, sending mail etc..
I'll send you a link in PM

Greetings

Willi

Ray BorduinWebAssist

OK... I can see that it works in that case.

Do you apply your server behaviors on the include page or on the page itself?

I'd like to take a look at the code if you could send me a .zip file with the email page you referenced that works in the contents area.

Willi Schneider

Hi Ray

The server behaviors are applied on the include page.
I've sent you a .zip-file, containing both files.

Greetings

Willi

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...