close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Button Column Width Problems

Thread began 11/23/2009 6:51 am by grgsr | Last modified 11/30/2009 4:37 pm by Eric Mittman | 4245 views | 8 replies |

grgsr

Button Column Width Problems

I used Site Assist to build my store but the button titles are wider than the actual buttons themself. Is there a way to adjust this, should it be automatic?

Thanks
grgsr

Sign in to reply to this post

neilo

I have yet to find a way to do it in the wizard. You can set the width per item, or 'all', click 'apply', and it looks great in the wizard preview, widths are as you set them. Finish and close the wizard, and the width does not 'take', reverts to what the wizard wants you to have.

I spent a couple of hours on this, creating, editing, saving, saving as new preset, - all to no avail.

I end up hand-coding the css in 'menu.css' - (ul#cssmw_content > li > span > a) etc. - Too much trouble for my liking. Hopefully someone will provide the answer.

Now I delete the menu created by Site Assist, and create a new one with CSS Menu Writer. That one I can edit and the changes 'stick'.

Eric Mittman

To control the width of the menu used in SiteAssist you may need to use Menu Writer to adjust the preset menu, then create a new layout for SiteAssist based on this menu. If you are having trouble getting a setting to take from within the interface you may need to ensure that you change the focus in the wizard when you make this adjustment. What page of the wizard are you specifically referring to and what values are you setting?

neilo

Hello Eric,

Firstly - apologies to grgsr whose thread I interrupted, but I think our issues are linked.

I think your suggestion re: building the menu first is the one that works for me. The problem I was having was with the integral SiteAssist menu - I did go to some lengths to ensure that I had taken the focus away from the width field. There seem to be one or two minor glitches with my SA setup; one example being that for text, if I apply a font-size (say 12px) and remove focus, it reverts to 9px. I repeat the process, and it always works the second time.

I created a simple 'site' and removed all the pages except for the home page + one other. During the process, I set the widths of the menu buttons - and clicked forwards and backwards through the wizard to ensure that the values for all given elements were sticking.

The preview in the SA Wizard window always responded well, and showed my changes. I tried various was of saving as presets, making sure the nav div had ample space for accumulated widths, gave preset 'saves' unique names, and tried editing these and rebuilding from scratch under a different site (local & testing). Could not get the menu widths to stick.

I still suspect that it's I who am missing something obvious, but for the life of me I don't know what it is. I can build a menu with CSSMenu Writer, (not in Site Assist) and it works perfectly!

grgsr

The web site has many different catagories of products so I created a menu button for each catagory rather than the default product button with fly out menu.

Some of the catagory names are rather wide and when I complete the wizard the buttons are too narrow and the title of the button is visible beyond the actual button created.

Is there a way to delete the menu created in Site Assist Pro and then use the CSS Menu Writer? Perhaps that would work out better. I plan on using both a vertical and horizontal menu anyhow so I would have to use Menu Writer anyhow.

Thanks,
grgsr

Eric Mittman

To grgsr, we have a How To document on using CSS Menu Writer to create new layouts for SiteAssist. You can use the menu that you create in Menu Writer in combination with a template or a CSS Sculptor preset to generate your new SiteAssist Pro layout, it will then use whatever values you have specified when creating the menu for the widths and other css. Here is a link to the SiteAssist Pro support page that has this How To on it:

siteassist/

If you have any trouble with any part of this let us know so we can help you get it worked out.

To neilo, sorry about the troubles you are having, I assume that you are referring to CSS Menu Writer in regards to adjustments you are making to the text and widths, or are you talking about CSS Sculptor? There is no interface within SiteAssist Pro for these settings so I'm a little confused about this part. Please post back with this info and the steps you are taking when you make the edits and they do not work for you, I will make sure that I do some thorough testing of this to see if I can get the same to happen. If not I may need to open a ticket for you so we can check this out further.

neilo

Thanks Eric,

I mean when I create a site with Site Assist. SA uses its integrated menu-writer functionality to create the menu. If I create a site, then clicking the javascript icon by the SiteAssist-created menu invokes the CSSMenuWriter buttons in the properties panel.

The anomaly seems to be that clicking on those buttons and making changes doesn't 'take', but deleting that menu and adding another using CSSMenuWriter (the installed extension) then I can go back at any time to edit!

I'm actually fine about this - don't need anything done - just thought it was odd!

Edit: Eric - have tried it again - and it worked fine. I have no idea what I did differently this time, but it must definitely have been human error (mine). Apologies for wasting time.

grgsr

Thank you Eric. I will check it out. I have been trying all week to get the menus set up correctly. I was getting frustrated and put the computer aside for a day or so.

I don't want to use a fly out style as I have so many catagories. I prefer to have the catagories listed on their own in the main menu.

Happy Thanksgiving
grgsr

Eric Mittman

Since SiteAssist creates the menu contents and links based on the site you are creating you will not be able to craft the menu separately from the structure within the interface. Because of this you may need to craft your menu separately with Menu Writer and manually add it into the template that SiteAssist creates or you can edit the existing menu that is created with the SiteAssist site using the buttons from the property inspector. You would want to craft the contents of your menu to match your site and the layout you would like.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...